Recently I read a poem “Seven Ages of Man” by William Shakespeare. It is an excerpt from his play ‘As You Like It‘.In this poem he has beautifully explained the role of Man on the stage of life.He has explained the seven different roles which are performed by a man during his life.
In a same way I feel that Parenting too undergo changes with time.
- Feeling of parenthood starts well before the child comes to this world. Getting ready to welcome the new member of the family.
- Stage two starts as soon as the hands feel the touch of human life. Sleepless tiring nights, Frequent nappy change, long feeding hours, beautiful prams ….
- There comes the stage -to be like a child. Playing games Carrom,ludo, snakes and ladders ,watching cartoon movies, Getting wet in the rain….
- Now the most crucial role to be played….as friend, being parents of a teenager. The one who plays this well is the most successful parent. Here is a chance to manage the so-called Generation – gap by being friendly to your teenager and understanding the need of his age.
- After completing that long difficult phase comes -to be supporter.You have to give your support to your grown-up in taking important decision of his life. Suggestions can be given when asked but be ready if not accepted.
- In this stage you have to just observe (being observer) whatever happens in your child’s life (rather a grown-up ) which is now ready to go through the same cycle as you have gone through.
- And , at the last …just a feeling of being parents as you had in the beginning but the only difference now is ,they are away. …….Enjoying their parenthood…..but few lucky ones get the second innings too…to be grandparents!!!